My Choice . . . My Health is the Diabetes Prevention Program of the National Kidney Foundation of Michigan. It helps those at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles by eating healthier, increasing physical activity and losing a modest amount of weight in order to reduce their chances of developing the disease. Based on research funded by the National Institutes of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the program reduces the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 58%. In a group setting, a trained lifestyle coach facilitates a small group of participants in learning about healthier eating, physical activity, and other behavior changes over the course of 16 weekly one-hour sessions. Topics covered include healthier eating, getting started with physical activity, overcoming stress, staying motivated, and more. After the initial 16 sessions, participants meet monthly for added support to help them maintain their progress.
The NKFM is recognized as a leader in diabetes prevention and has earned Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Full Recognition for My Choice. . . My Health. Learn more about the CDC's Diabetes Prevention Recognition Program and the standards that the NKFM has met by effectively delivering the life-changing program.
Information Sessions and Class Start Dates
Information sessions and classes are forming now. Click the location name below to submit your contact information and a representative from the National Kidney Foundation of Michigan will get back with you to answer any questions you have and let you know of the dates and times of upcoming classes.
*In order to meet minimum class sizes, class start dates may need to be rescheduled.
|Location:||Information Session and First Class:|
United Way of Jackson County
Information Session 4/7/15
Beaumont Medical Center
Information Session 3/17/15
Davita Grand Rapids
Information Sessions 3/20/15
Davita Grand Rapids
Information session 3/24/15
Gethsemane Missionary Baptist Church
Information Session 3/30/15
Information Session 4/30/15
|Across Michigan||If you would like to be notified when classes are
scheduled in your area, please fill out the
My Choice. . . My Health form.
- Priority Health has partnered with the NKFM to offer My Choice. . . My Health free to its qualified members. Just show your member ID card at the information session!
- Select My Choice. . . My Health class locations are supported by community grants and are offered at no cost to qualified participants.
The fees for participants not covered by sponsorships are:
- $125 due at sign-up. This fee covers the first 5 sessions
- Each additional session is $25 (weeks 6-16)
- The cost of the full, year-long program is $550. Participants who pay the full amount at sign-up will be given a 10% discount.
- Scholarships are provided to participants who aren't covered by sponsorships, and who qualify for financial assistance. View the scholarship application to learn if you qualify.
- Reduce body weight by 7%
- Increase physical activity to 150 minutes per week
Can I participate?
To qualify for the program individuals must be overweight and at high risk for developing diabetes, or overweight and have been diagnosed by a physician as someone with pre-diabetes. Take the CDC Prediabetes Test to determine your risk.
Am I at risk?
Your doctor can tell if you are at risk. He/she can determine your risk through a blood test with one of the following results:
- Fasting plasma glucose between 100-125 mg/d
- A1c between 5.7% and 6.4%
- 2-hour Plasma Glucose between 140-199 mg/dl
In addition, a combination of risk factors such as family history, overweight, and gestational diabetes may also put you at risk. Take the Centers for Disease Control Risk Test.
“DPP was extremely beneficial to me. I have tried many programs but nothing taught me how to make lifestyle changes. The program showed me the connection between how I was living and my risk of developing diabetes. Due to the changes I have learned in this class, I can play with my daughter without running out of breath and enjoy exercising! I have lost weight, am eating much healthier and lowered my bloodsugar.” - Suzanne
Here are just a few of the results we've received in the My Choice. . . My Health classes:
- 444 participants
- 4,404 pounds lost
- 5.4% average participant weight loss
- 162 average minutes of physical activity per week
- 13 of 16 sessions average attendance
For more information on classes and to see if you qualify, contact:
email@example.com or call 800-482-1455
Generous Program Funders:
Area Agency on Aging - 1B
Chelsea Wellness Foundation
HHS Office on Women’s Health
Michigan Department of Community Health
National Association of Chronic Disease Directors
Want to Become a Lifestyle Coach?
Empower adults to change their lives! Lifestyle Coaches deliver the NKFM's National Diabetes Prevention Program, My Choice. . . My Health, using curriculum developed by the CDC. Lifestyle Coaches will help participants develop and maintain the skills needed to adopt healthy eating and physical activity habits, and support participants by providing information, encouraging progress, and working with the group to address any challenges or barriers that arise.
Lifestyle coaches receive free training and certification to implement the program and do not need to be health care professionals. A per session stipend of $50 is provided to facilitators. Facilitators should be able to commit to leading one workshop per year (this includes the 16 weekly sessions, and 6-8 follow up monthly sessions). Weekly time commitment varies between 4-6 hours per week.
We are currently looking for Coaches to teach in the following locations: Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Flint, Grand Rapids, Holland, Zeeland, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Oakland and Wayne County.
- Knowledge of the principles of behavior change and group facilitation
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals and in front of a small group
- Ability to guide behavior change without prescribing personal actions or solutions
- Ability to build relationships with individuals and create community within a group
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people of varying ages, ethnicities, life experiences, etc.
- Active listening skills
- Enthusiasm and a positive attitude
- Knowledge of basic health, nutrition, and fitness principles
To apply to become a lifestyle coach, please fill out the online interest form. The NKFM has established policies and procedures to ensure the quality of its Diabetes Prevention Program. Please read My Choice. . . My Health's lifestyle coach statement of understanding to further understand the requirements of a lifestyle coach.
If you have further questions about applying to become a lifestyle coach, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below are some links that will help you along the way as a part of the My Choice. . . My Health program. If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact the My Choice. . . My Health team at email@example.com.
Help With Tracking
Download a printer-friendly version of the latest My Choice. . . My Health newsletter!
Below are some documents to help physicians better understand the My Choice. . . My Health program, as well as a recommendation form for patients. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.